Thursday, May 3, 2012

7dp 3dt

Read: 7 days past 3 day transfer

Let me back up...

Late in the afternoon on Friday, April 20th, I learned that my Egg Retrieval (ER) was scheduled for Monday, April 23rd at 8:30 a.m.  I was instructed to take my last shot of 450 iu of Follistim on Friday evening, take my HCG trigger shot on Saturday evening at 9 p.m. and then not to take anything on Sunday.

As luck would have it (insert sarcasm here!), we woke up to POURING rain on Monday morning.  We sat in so much traffic on our way to my doctor's office that we almost didn't make it.  Thankfully my husband just starting driving in the breakdown lane to bypass some of the traffic and we arrived just about 15 minutes prior to 9 a.m.  They quickly whisked us to the little waiting room - I changed into my johnny and Nick was by my side as the nurses prepped me.  Nick and I said goodbye and I walked into the little OR ready to go!  I was excited and nervous and very, very anxious.  When I awoke from the sedation, Nick was back at my side and the nurse explained that the doctor was able to retrieve 4 eggs.  I was happy, but still a little worried because I knew that the next 24 hours would be crucial.  This is when the eggs would, or should, fertilize.  The nurse kept telling me "it only takes one!" and she assured me that 4 eggs retrieved is good.  We went home and I slept and watched movies for the remainder of the day. 

**Insert progesterone in oil (PIO) shots here.  My husband was instructed to give me this intra muscular shot in my buttox that evening.  I would continue to take these shots at least until my pregnancy test.  These shots are not fun.  They are painful.  The needle is long.  I don't like them, but by God, I would take them every night for the rest of my life if I end up with a baby(ies) after all of this!
PIO Injections
The following day I had planned to work from home to 1. rest and relax post ER and 2. (and more importantly) so that I wouldn't be at work when I received the call about how many eggs had or hadn't fertilized.  I was praying ALL day.  The hours passed and as they passed, my stomach grew more and more knots.  FINALLY a little before 3 p.m., I called my nurse and asked for a report.  She confirmed 2 eggs fertilized!  Then, she got herself confused and wasn't so sure.  She said she'd call me right back.  I hung up the phone and prayed aloud to God to PLEASE let 2 be the correct number.  I was so worried that maybe none had fertilized.  My nurse called me back within 5 minutes and re-confirmed that we had 2 embryos!  I was ecstatic.  After hanging up, I started crying - tears of pure joy.  I could not believe it.  My doctor ended up calling me later that evening to let me know that both embryos were 1 cell, normal embryos.  She reiterated the fact that they'd need to continue to grow each day and that they'd be checked again tomorrow.  She said that *IF* the embryos make it, I will be scheduled for a day 3 transfer (ET: egg transfer).  She also mentioned that the embryologist suggested assisted hatching.  The zona (lining) of my embryos were fairly thick and with assisted hatching, the embryologist would essentially "poke" the lining right before the ET so that my embryos will have an easier time hatching out of their shells to (hopefully) implant in my uterus.
I thought that after receiving the fertilization report, that I would feel much more calm and relaxed.  But, the next day, I was on the edge of my seat.  I just HAD to know if my embryos continued to divide and grow.  Well, divide and grow they did!  I had one 3 cell and one 4 cell embryo and both were Grade B.  I'll take it!  I was scheduled to have the transfer the following morning at 10:30 a.m.  The nurse mentioned that the embryologist would be checking my embryos again that morning to ensure that they continued to divide and grow overnight.  She mentioned that my appointment was booked and if for some reason my embryos didn't make it overnight, that they'd call me that morning to cancel.

My mom came up to take me to my transfer appointment.  The entire ride to my doctor's office, I was worried that my phone would ring and that my transfer would be cancelled.  Luckily, that did not happen and my doctor met my mom and I in the waiting room.  We could both see that she was holding a picture of both of my EIGHT CELL embryos!  I was thrilled with that report and was very happy that I could take my picture home with me!  The transer was quick and painless.  The most pain I had was just from having a full bladder!  Interestingly enough, I had just seen an ET on TV a couple nights prior to mine on Giuliana and Bill.  I totally knew what to expect.  My doctor was amazing - she is so calm and even keeled.  She completely put me at ease.  She told me that my age is a huge positive factor (even with everything we know and have found out during this infertility process!) and she said her fingers and toes will be crossed for me.
ET Day and my 2 embryos!
Since the ET, I've felt totally normal.  Well, aside from my rear end - those darn PIO shots!  The day after my transfer (1dp3dt), I don't think I felt any different.  2dp3dt I remember my chest feeling a little sore and then on 3dp3dt - 5dp3dt I had slight twinges of cramping on and off and my chest continued to feel sore.  Yesterday was 6dp3dt and I had cramping  Yesterday was rough for me, I was worried that the constant cramping was a negative sign.  I scoured the Internet to see if this is "normal".  I'm at a loss.  I have no idea if this is good or bad.  I gave up, had an emotional night and went to bed!  Today is 7dp3dt.  A week ago today I had my transfer.  I can't believe a week as gone by!  I haven't had much cramping today - maybe just a little on and off.  Also, my chest doesn't feel as sore today.  Again, I don't know if this is good or bad.  I did read that on the 7dp3dt cycle day, implantation is complete.  Tomorrow HCG will begin to release.  I won't test early, or, at least not that early.  My BETA is scheduled for Monday morning.  I'm praying to God that at least one of my embryos divided, grew, stuck, implanted and is growing into a healthy little baby!

I've been having a difficult time envisioning a positive outcome at the end of this.  I think I'm just trying to brace myself for the potential bad news.  I'm scared for Monday, but also excited and anxious.  I know I need to dig deep these next few days and do my best to be hopeful and positive.  After all (I read this on a fellow Infertility Blog), right now I'm pregnant until proven otherwise!

Praying for lots of baby dust and sticky vibes!

Aubrey Blair

No comments:

Site Design By Designer Blogs